WSQ Provide Specialty Coffee Service – Barista Skills & Coffee Art
Course Reference Number: TGS-2022013528
Barista Course Overview
The barista course will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to provide specialty coffee service effectively. Participants will be able to describe and recommend coffee products, grind and brew coffee using various brewing methods, and prepare and serve espresso, cappuccino and lattes.
ICAS Training & Education College (ICASTEC), the education arm of International Cuisine Association of Singapore (ICAS), is an adult learning culinary school with great passion and enthusiasm for hospitality, food and beverage, culinary and pastry arts. We focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, and management and is recognised as a world-class quality education institution.
ICAS Training & Education College has received excellent course feedback from over 800+ food hygiene course trainees on skillsfuture.gov.sg course directory.
Barista Course Content
Participants will learn basic barista course knowledge. The course will cover the following six topics:
- Appreciate and describe the origins and characteristics of coffee beans from different regions
- Appreciate and use a variety of tools and equipment in different coffee-making processes
- Explain the types, characteristics, functions and quality indicators of ingredients used to brew specialty coffees
- Grind coffee beans and steam milk required for preparing specialty coffees
- Prepare specialty coffees
- Serve specialty coffees
Who Should Attend
All food and service personnel responsible for preparing specialty coffee or anyone with a passion for barista skills and coffee art or looking to upgrade and work in the Food and Beverage industry.
Minimum Entry Requirement
- Aged 18 and above
- At least PSLE or equivalent
- Ability to understand, read, write and speak English at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System Workplace Literacy (WPL) Level 3
- No prior work experience is required
- Learners who do not qualify in terms of education but have the relevant working experience will be admitted on a case-by-case basis (to be evaluated by the Management Representative)
Mode of Delivery
Practical Assessment and Written Assessment
Medium of Instruction: English
Teacher Student Ratio: 1:20
Barista Course Duration
The barista course is a two-day course consisting of 14 hours of training and 2 hours of assessment. ICASTEC class usually starts from 9 am to 6 pm.
Barista Course Learning Outcome
Upon completing the course, the participants will acquire basic barista skills and coffee art knowledge and apply as follow;
- Describe and recommend coffee products
- The different tools and equipment in different coffee-making processes
- Grind and brew coffee
- Prepare specialty coffee
- Prepare and serve cappuccino, mocha, americano and latte
- Understand the characteristics of Espresso
- Serve specialty coffee
Barista Course Assessment Mode
Participants are required to undergo a 2 hours assessment comprising of practical performance (PP) and a written assessment (WA).
Barista Course Certificate
Participants who completed the course and passed the assessment will be awarded a Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) Certificate issued by SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) in WSQ Non-Alcoholic Beverage Preparation (Level 3).
Barista Course Fees
|WSQ Provide Specialty Coffee Service – Barista Skills & Coffee Art||Singaporeans 21 – 39 years old / |
Permanent Residents 21 years old and above
|Singaporeans 40 years old and above |
(Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy)
|$690.00 before GST||$345.00 before GST||$207.00 before GST|
Funding Validity Period
10 May 2022 – 09 May 2024
* Self-sponsored individuals must be at least 21 years old.
**Terms and conditions apply to all types of SSG fundings.
Barista Course Schedule & Registration
Application Fee* of $20 will be collected upon booking confirmation.
The application fee will be waived upon completion of the program.
Fees for Appeal & Re-assessment
The participant who fails the assessment and wishes to appeal may submit the appeal form to take the re-assessment. There are no additional fees for appeal & re-assessment.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
|Refund Policy||Refund Amount|
|Withdrawal notification received at least 14 calendar days before course commencement||75% refund of paid fees|
|Withdrawal notification received less than 14 calendar days from the course commencement OR upon course commencement||No refund of paid fees|